3.17.2011

Riley Update

Let me start out by saying this:  I have been a failure at keeping up with this blog since Riley came into this world.  Not only have we been spending all of our time with our precious girl, I've been busy with other things, too.  Before this sounds like a pile of excuses, let's move on to this "between months" update.  

I can't begin to explain how quickly our girl is growing.  The things she learns never cease to amaze me.  She can blow kisses, do the signs for "thank you" and "more," clap her hands like it's going out of style, locate YOUR nose and her own head and hair, obey many simple commands, etc.  She can tell the difference between a dog and a bear when you hold up the cards in front of her (this only works with certain pairs of animals... sometimes it's obvious that she just likes the butterfly better than the dolphin because she goes for that every time).  She can melt your heart and she can try your patience (you moms know that your babies do it, too... I'm just being honest).  

David and I are constantly talking about how much fun she is.  I knew I would love being a mom, but I have to admit, I never dreamed I'd love it this much.  Having her smile at me, lean in to give me a big, sloppy kiss, and thousands of other things make me stop and thank God for the little one he's put in our care.  I hope we remember to tell her that we go into her room EVERY SINGLE NIGHT just to look at her, watch her sleep, and talk about how big she's getting.  Every night we talk about how time goes too fast and we can't believe that she's going to be one so soon (less than a week!!!).  

On another note, I'm happy to announce that I won our first major battle of wills (the parenting books don't tell you how early those start unless you're reading "To Train Up a Child.").  Lord helping me, I'll keep winning them, no matter how big or how small.  I had to call three people to help me "stick to my guns" and reassure me that I was doing the right thing but it paid off in the end.  I try to tell myself that I'm helping to prepare her to respond to God's offer of salvation.  

Let me just tell you, it's so much easier to give in.  I would have much rather stopped the training session, picked up my little girl and showered her with cuddles and kisses.  I'm thankful for a godly husband, father, and friend who encouraged me to do what was right rather than doing what I felt like doing.  

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Oh, those battles of wills! So hard!! Be thankful you were in a situation where you could handle the first one. We were not able to properly deal with the first one, and I think we're still paying for that to this day with our two year old. It's SO tough to stick with it, especially when it goes on and on and (I think) the devil tries to convince you that they don't understand or they're too young, but obeying the Lord and His Word is NEVER something we'll regret.

And I'm saying that to myself as much as I am to you. :)

Sallie said...

Hi Lauren, I'm just now getting around to visiting your blog. What a beautiful little family God has blessed you with! My sweet baby girl turned 16 years this past February, so I have seen plenty of battles regarding the will. You are right in training her so early to trust you. This is essentially what parents are doing when they properly correct their children. It's our job to protect them and teach them that obedience keeps them safe. Kudos to you!! Be encouraged that your hard work will reap great rewards. God's blessings to you and your family.
Sallie (From TinyPushes blog)