...when they said unto me, let us go unto the house of the Lord...
Today was a wonderful day in the church house. David preached both sermons today, which makes me a little nervous; but he did a great job. He ventured out into a "dangerous" topic tonight -- apparel & modesty. David did something that very few preachers seem to do (though Bro James does the same): He didn't preach his opinion, he went through what the Bible has to say about modesty.
The five principles that David has found in the Bible and that the Brown family goes by are the following:
- Cover your nakedness (Gen. 3:6-7,21)
- Dress modestly (I Timothy 2:9,10)
- Uphold the distinction between male and female (Gen 1:26-27, Mark 10:6, Deut. 22:5)
- Be separate from the world (2 Cor 6:14-18, I Peter 1:13-16)
- Remember you represent Jesus Christ (2 Cor 5:20)
It is sad what so-called Christians wear today. Even if there are those who dress modestly at church, they seem to feel like God's standard varies from place to place. Unfortunately for them, God's word doesn't change when you're at the beach or the pool. Biblical principles must be followed. Obviously, the materials might be different, but the distinction still must remain. Just because everyone else is wearing less doesn't mean you're modest.