7.22.2010

Project Organization: Kitchen Cabinets

My Supervisor
Today I decided to buckle down on one of my summer goals: getting (and staying) organized.  It's about time since there's not many days left in what most would consider summer.  Even though the official end of the season isn't until September twenty-first, I really did need to get a move on it.   

Turns out, all I needed was a little bit of inspiration.  I know I've linked to it recently, but kevinandamanda.com really got the ball rolling for me.  Yesterday, when I saw Amanda's post on organizing her kitchen cabinets, I decided I "had" to go to Wal*mart to follow her lead.  Riley and I headed out today and, after a wild goose chase through the home section, we finally found the kitchen organizers we were looking for.

I picked up three organizers almost like this one (they were just the Walmart brand in stead).  While I was there, I also picked up two spice shelves along the lines of this (it's made out of a different material, but the concept is the same).

In under 30 minutes, I was able to organize three cabinets in my kitchen.  See the before and after photos below.

Please don't judge me for the disorganization!  I know it's ridiculous, but at least I took steps to rectify the situation.  I really do want to organize our home and have it stay that way!  

I used two racks in the cabinet where I keep my pots and pans.  One holds my skillets and the other holds the lids to everything.  I wish I had a better way to store my pots, but there's really no other option with the way our kitchen is set up. 
This cabinet is underneath the "junk drawer" and it took on the same look: junky.  How Pyrex dishes and phone books go together, I don't know.  

I used one of the racks to organize my glass bakeware and moved the odds and ends to another, more appropriate home.  Now I won't have to make a terrible racket every time I need to get a dish... inevitably, the one I need is always on the bottom!

Lastly, I tackled my spices.  Whenever I need one, I always have to take about 5 out since they're so hard to see.  

These "shelves" made it easy to organize all my spices.  It is a little bit awkward because of the limited space.  I wanted to put the biggest containers on the back shelf, but they were too tall to fit. Regardless, I'd say it's a huge improvement over how it looked before adding the shelves.  

This is the first in what will hopefully be quite a series.  Project Organization is underway at the Brown house!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks great! Love those spice racks.

Gwen said...

Oh so refreshing...

Cecelia Perkinson said...

Amazing Lauren!I like it..good job. :)